PDA

View Full Version : Anaconda and Collateral Damage 2006-02-08

xFallen
02-08-2006, 11:56 PM
I met the Colorado crew at the Table Mesa staging area just before 9:00 am. It was already turning into a beautiful day although the drive out was unusally windy. Just to recap, me TJ on 37s with usual stuff on stock axles, Dale TJ on 44/60 axles and 38s wider but stock length, Cody '74 Bronco on 37s, Zane TJ 109" on 42s and 60F/70R axles. Andrew joined us for Collateral Damage in his YJ shod with 38s on a pair of 9" axles, close to stock length.

We headed off toward Anaconda (rating around 4.5) and found a late model Cherokee stuff nose first down in the crack at the beginning of Lower Terminator. It had been stripped of its license plate. I checked to make sure there were no bodies in it. You never know. I suspect it was stolen and ditched. Dumbasses.

We headed on up Anaconda with Zane leading. I figured he'd be most likely to clean everything and would provide a convenient anchor point if any of us smaller rigs needed to winch. Zane had zero issues on the entire trail.

The frst part of the trail was radically different than when I ran it a few weeks ago. The fall before the rock garden had two huge boulders in it that were either winched there or fell from the bank. They did not make the climb easier. Last time out I climbed that fall without any drama wahtsoever. These damn rocks were situated in such a way as to catch the undercarriage and axles in the oddest of places. With a bunch of wiggling we made it through (except for the Bronco) and on the less than ideal line. After the two rock squeeze (I aplogize -- if these osbtacles have names I do not know them) right near the first bail-out point, there was a rather large rockthat followed me around due to the way I placed my tires on it poresumably. Anywaym, this damn rock got caught dead center underneath my belly pan and caused far too much time to get off of it. Again, it was the darnest thing. I fuigred that this just wouldn't be a good wheeling day for me or something.

The rest of the trail was rather uneventful other than the fun of navigating the various obstacles. Dale completed the trail without winching. I had to take a winch on the second last waterfall, which seemed weird. I just couldn't find the line even though I could feel it was there. I am pretty csure I could have climbed it. Cody in the Bronco also took a winch there. The last fall is the one I figured I would have trouble with but really didn't. Everyone made it up. Andrew joined us somewhere before the end of the trail. He was on foot and had taken the upper access road in above Anaconda to find us. We were almost done with the trail and even though he had wanted to run it, we decided collectively to head to the CD trailhead, break for lunch then wheel CD. The last fall was the one I expected to have grief on but it really wasn't that bad. I picked a line and was able to execute it thanks largely to the tires. Cody used the same line and a bit of throttle.

We ate lunch on the river bank in a shady spot not far from the entrance to Twsited. After lunch we went over and walked Twisted just so everyone could get a chance to see it. Everyone is curious about it but I don't think too many were anxious to try it on that particular day.

We headed up CD which is seems generally rated a 5.0. Everyone winched up the "big" fall on CD except Zane who as one might expect pretty much just climbed right up. I got into a situation where I couldn't move either direction and chose to winch just to keep us moving. I don't believe I would have climbed it today anyway although I am thinking there is a way through it in my rig -- another day. Lots came close to making it but it just wasn't in the cards. It really felt like a wheelbase game to me but could easily have been many other things. Frankly I never expected to be able to climb that fall but tried fairly assertively anyway. Gotta stretch a bit here soon.

Cody may also have had to winch his '74 Bronco on the left-right crevass turn thing (sorry, don't know the names). I got through but put the rig through massive contortions doing it as I had slipped off my line and decided the newly imposed line could work too even though it was off camber and all twisted up. I wish we had pix of that because it would have been kind of cool. Dale made it through with only a little contorting. Andrew made it look pretty easy and did exactly what should be done to get through it. He seemed to have a good plan of attack and executed it very nicely.

It was very rewarding to run those trails. Both were great but I esepecially enjoyed CD. I have run that trail as a passenger but not in my own rig. I had been wanting to run myself for a long time and just never had the opportunity for one reason or another. I had forgotten about the exit to the trail. I was very tired by the time we got to it and I had to talk myself into it being no big deal. It was a fairly easy crawl but I was tired and it looked like more than it turned out to be.

On the way back to the parking lot we went through Raw Deal just because it is nearly as fast as taking the road and it just felt like the thing to do. Dale blew a Warn hub tryng a fun line on Upper Raw Deal. Bummer. She put it in 2WD and humped it back to the trucks while Zane, Andrew and I continued on and went up to complete Upper Raw Deal and head back to the trucks.

I believe everyone had a great time. It was real nice to wheel with Andrew again -- been too long since the last time. I learned a lot about me and my rig.

I ran the Creepy Crawlers at 5 psi for both trails. They worked really well at that pressure, wrapping around the rocks and holding very well even when the tire wasn't always placed exactly right.

I am too bagged to post pictures tonight, I think, so it may have to wait until tomorrow evening. I am not even sure how many decent ones we got since we spent more time on these trails driving and spotting than taking pictures.

Barry

xFallen
02-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Pictures...

Zane heading up.

Zane playing on the two rock squeeze thing. Does it have a name?

Those large boulders weren't there a few weeks back when I did thos part of the trail. They look like they might make it easier. They sure didn't for most of us. Due to positioning they ruined the good line and the jagged parts of the rock were grabbing axle tubes and undercarriage.

This boulder slipper underneath as I was climbing over it and it was exactly the right height to hang me up. At one point I am sure you could have spun the Jeep arounf like a top.

After much wiggling I was able to get a tire on it and climb over. I figured this was the way the rest of the day would go...

Cody navigating the first fall.

The Maxxis really helped me on this climb. I had a difficult time at first finding the right line for me and when I did I almost came off it. The tire helped keep me on track. I crushed in the passenger door on the rock by going at it the wrong way the first few times.

Cody tried my line and soprt of hopped up using throttle. Would have been cool to see on video.

xFallen
Zane heading up Collateral Damage.

Barry on Collateral Damage.

Dale on Collateral Damage.

Cody, Collateral Damage.

Zane, Collateral Damage.

Dale on Collateral Damage.

Andrew on Collateral Damage. He had a gerat line.

Zane on the "big" fall on Collateral Damage. He made short work of it but I could tell this was going to be marginal for me.

xFallen
Andrew showing the proper use of the stinger bar. All the short wheelbase rigs took a winch on this obstacle.

Cody started to get a little sideways climbing up out of CD. He jsut got into it and steered on up.

Andrew crawling up out.

That's it.

Barry

mingoglia
02-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Once again, cool pics. My rig should definitely be trail worthy not this weekend but next weekend.

xFallen
02-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Once again, cool pics. My rig should definitely be trail worthy not this weekend but next weekend.

Awesome. I bet you're getting excited.

So...first trail...hrmmm...how about Twisted then head over to Matrix? That should pop the proverbial cherry in good form. ;) :D

Barry

Skii4x4
02-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Nice pics, I want to try my hand at anaconda one day

SavageSun4x4
02-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Way to go Barry, now I feel bad about feeling bad:) Wish I could have made it but sinus was a stopper....:(

xFallen
02-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Way to go Barry, now I feel bad about feeling bad:) Wish I could have made it but sinus was a stopper....:(

No worries Don. Another time. I hope you are on the mend.

Barry

LOST TJ
02-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Awesome pics as always Barry. Looks insane. :eek:

Wildcat455
02-09-2006, 12:45 PM
I can't believe you guys threw all those boulders in the chute...:D

twstdtj
02-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Looks like a blast. My stretch is pretty much done. waiting on tires. Then its on!!!!!!!!!!!!

mingoglia
02-09-2006, 12:59 PM
So after reading through this one again and checking out the pics am I correct in saying (Barry) that you now need Brian to make you a passenger door as well as the drivers door you "modified" a couple weekends ago? :rolleyes:

Mike

xFallen
02-09-2006, 01:39 PM
I can't believe you guys threw all those boulders in the chute...:D

Haha...yeah...

Seriously...that climb is WAY easier with no crap at the bottom of it. Remember how easy it was after there was a front axle in my heep of course.... :D

I think someone winched those boulders down from the rock garden. Dumb a s s e s.

xFallen
02-09-2006, 01:58 PM
So after reading through this one again and checking out the pics am I correct in saying (Barry) that you now need Brian to make you a passenger door as well as the drivers door you "modified" a couple weekends ago? :rolleyes:

Mike

Uhhh...yeah...that'd be accurate. You're a sharp one. :cool:

In fact, the passenger door looks more like a hoop than a door. I bent it in pretty severely. :D

I fell off my chosen line and decided since the damage had already been done I'd just work it a bit. In the end a different line worked. :rolleyes: The doors do make an outstanding support and will keep the rig of the rocks in many circumstances.

I will tell you that without the PSC corner protection the tub of my rig would be absolutely trashed.

Barry

mingoglia
02-09-2006, 02:03 PM
You know, bending Brian's doors is actually a selling point for me. As you know I go without doors but after seeing your experience (and knowing I'm going to be ultimately wheeling with you) I'd much rather have the doors get caved in then have it break off my passenger seat or break my leg on the drivers side....

Mike

xFallen
02-09-2006, 04:08 PM
You know, bending Brian's doors is actually a selling point for me. As you know I go without doors but after seeing your experience (and knowing I'm going to be ultimately wheeling with you) I'd much rather have the doors get caved in then have it break off my passenger seat or break my leg on the drivers side....

Mike

I will be replacing them. They are an asset on the trail, not a liability. It is a shame that I bent them, but they can be useful in certain situations to keep the body off the rocks, and they do add some level of security for normal driving/trail riding even though they are open.

They do not hold in A/C or heat very well nor do they keep out dust, water and rocks... :D

I like them.

Barry

xFallen
02-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Just heard from the CO crew. They made it back from their week of wheelin' AZ style.

On Thursday they ran Lower Terminator, Judgement Day, Upper Terminator and Predator and were tempted by Annihilator but it was 4:00 pm so they pulled the plug.

Friday morning they ran Raw Deal for kicks, and Collateral Damage again just because it was so much fun the first time.

Hopefully they will give us a full report time permitting.

Barry

JeepDiva
02-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Great trip report and awesome pics Barry! Barry was a great trip leader and made sure we had a fun time. You know someone's a true 4-wheeler when they volunteer to take a day off work to lead us around!

We're officially hooked and will have to come back to AZ (especially in Feb when it's nice in AZ and snowing in CO). I think Annihilator and Twisted were calling to Zane and the other two of us are just about crazy enough to follow him in.

My fender flares took a beating, but we'd been thinking about ditching those and going flatty on the jeep for a while. Now we'll have to get serious about that. I was also glad I opted to leave the hardtop at home, since the softtop came home with a few new rips from leaning into things. Seems that the AZ trails are a little narrower than we're used to and having wider axles meant Zane & I had to get creative on some of our lines. Awesome trails though! Like Barry said, CD was so much fun we had to run it again Friday. I'll try to get a trip report up soon, but my digital camera was not cooperating so I have to get all my 35mm stuff digitized to post pics.