PDA

View Full Version : AZ Republic: "Officer curbs complaints by redirecting off-roaders"

jeepsonly
02-07-2006, 09:04 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0207evoffroad0207.html

The story is about a Mesa PD officer teaming up with "Tonto National Forest, Arizona Game and Fish Department and Arizona State Land Department to solve the problem"...of improper OHV use of a particular area in the east valley.

Once he realized that people had been using the desert areas for a decade for recreation, he decided it wasn't fair to just start citing people.

Instead, he teamed up with the Tonto National Forest, Arizona Game and Fish Department and Arizona State Land Department to solve the problem.

Seems like a successful use of education, access control and signage to curb improper use.

BTW, Tammy Pike from USFS is mentioned in the article. She's been very helpful working with the AZVJC and other groups.

desertdawg
02-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Also as a result of his work the City of Mesa sent out pamphlets to all Mesa residents that were included with thier water bills, on responsible OHV use. The pamphlets explained the "Tread Lightly" principle, areas where OHV use is prohibited, and ARS statutes and city code violations related to illegal OHV use.

My1stJeep
02-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Bill,

Thanks for posting this up, great article.

I wonder if we as the OHV community could come up with an award to present to him to show our appreciation? Maybe something the AZOHV Coalition could present?

Thoughts????

jeepsonly
02-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Wow, great idea Chris. We (OHV'ers) need to promote and encourage cooperation in preserving the land for multiple uses, encourage the idea that we're on the same side of law enforcement and we could always use positive PR.

Sandee McCullen
02-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Bill,

Thanks for posting this up, great article.

I wonder if we as the OHV community could come up with an award to present to him to show our appreciation? Maybe something the AZOHV Coalition could present?

Thoughts????

I think that would be a great idea...... it certainly would show "partnership" between OHV and agencies as well as show the enviros we DO RESPECT the enviroment and resources.

Ditto on the THANKS............ I missed this article although I had heard bits and pieces of it happening.

BTW: I have the CHARTER MEMBERSHIP PLAQUE done for the AZVJC.............. where to?

My1stJeep
02-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Sandee,

What would it take to do this? I know I would kick in for a plaque or something for this officer to honor him. Maybe we could do a BBQ at one of the shops like is done at Hunter's and make it a big party and presentation???? Just spit balling here...

As for the charter plaque, I would think it should go to one of the 6 Dirty Half dozen that started this craze.

desertdawg
02-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Chris,

If a plaque doesn't work out, a nice letter to Chief Fowler recognizing Officer Sweet for what he did would go a long way. If you decide on a plaque or both, I can get it up to Chief Fowler for you and he or Officer Sweet's Commander can give it to him at a squad briefing or awards ceremony.

1BLKJP
02-07-2006, 04:26 PM
I think at the very least a letter from the AZVJC to the chief on his behalf is due him from us. I also like Chris's suggestion as to something more substantative from us for a job well done.

Also what would anyone think about placing an add thanking him in the East Valley Trib or The AZ Repugnant publicly thanking him for his honor and dedication to the job?

As for the plaque, I don't really think that one person is going to want to take it all for themselves. What about us displaying it at one of our local 4x4 establishments to show what our group is all about?

k7mto
02-07-2006, 04:27 PM
More importantly, make sure the articles author is aware and writes a followup so we get some good press for a change.

My1stJeep
02-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Sandee,

Who would I send a proposal to in the AZOHV Coalition to start the ball rolling?

I would like to get a letter to him and his supperior, a plaque and a BBQ.

I would like to get donations from all groups and individuals who would like to donate to this. Any extra funds over the cost would be donated to get additional flyers (the ones he handed out) to replenish stock.

Sandee McCullen
02-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Sandee,

Who would I send a proposal to in the AZOHV Coalition to start the ball rolling?

I would like to get a letter to him and his supperior, a plaque and a BBQ.

I would like to get donations from all groups and individuals who would like to donate to this. Any extra funds over the cost would be donated to get additional flyers (the ones he handed out) to replenish stock.

Ball is already rolling........... I am Secretary of the Coalition and have already consulted with the board. I've talked to Tammy as she and Officer Sweet were the two that actually teamed up and wrote this education flyer with Mesa District approval. Az State Parks were involved as they found money to print the flyers as a result of Jeff Gursh of the Arizona Trail Riders, persistence in helping to fund this project. ASLD nor G&F were involved. The Coalition is now writing grants and will continue to do so. This will continue to bring OHV into a responsible community picture.

I like the idea of a BBQ and the Coalition will certainly get a plaque of appreciation for Roger Sweet. I think this award needs to include all that were involved, including town representatives and Police Dept. I'd like to talk to Art Wirtz about maybe hosting a BBQ at the Mesa Ranger Dist Office......... if not maybe at Desert Fab's new place in AJ.

Any idea re a date to do this? I'd suggest sometime later March to give us time to get everyone involved.

My1stJeep
02-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I agree, all involved should be recognized.

Later in March is cool with me, I have no preference, just thought it would be nice for them to see how much we appreciate their efforts. Might go at least part of the ways toward other law enforcement and land management organizations seeing the light, that education does work.

Please let us know if we can help in any way. I would be happy to donate if we wanted to get additional plaques for the others involved, just let us know.

Thanks Sandee for getting this going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!