PDA

View Full Version : AZ Trail Needs Help in Superior area

Hackle
02-03-2006, 07:42 PM
If you can help out please contact Larry at the bottom of the page. This is a worthy cause. And make sure they know you are from the AZVJC.
Jim F.

The Arizona Trail Association needs some help transporting workers from the Picketpost Trailhead near Superior to a work area several miles south. They are building a new section of the Arizona Trail south of Picketpost TH. On Feb. 18 and 25 and March 4 and 18 they are going to need some help moving the trail workers to the work area and back from the trailhead. There is a closed road that parallels the new trail route. The Forest Service has agreed to allow us to use this closed road for "administrative purposes". My guess is that we will have about 20-30 people to move each way on each date. These work events are Valley companies employee groups.

Feb. 18.....Salt River Project
Feb. 25.....Wells Fargo
Mar. 4.......Phelps Dodge
Mar. 18.....Arizona Public Service

For more information and if you want to help contact Larry at: sneadlarry@qwest.net

RokNRich
02-03-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm willing to help, and will send Larry an email.

Off the top of my head though:

Sounds like an all day deal, should we plan on helping out and working on the trail as well ? or leave them and come back ?

20-30 people sounds like a lot, most of us only have one empty seat...

I have an idea where that is at, and the roads I'm familiar with are pretty good, but should we pre run ? it or anything else in an effort to find out what the requirements will be (it may be easier to use trucks and support Jeeps to get that many people back there, depending on road conditions).

Someone will need to post trips for each day with vehicle requirements, meeting place and time, and expectations.

Will they be prepared ? I'm not going to be happy running back into town and getting them a gatorade or sun tan lotion because they forgot it, etc.

Glenn4ws
02-03-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm willing to help, and will send Larry an email.

Off the top of my head though:

Sounds like an all day deal, should we plan on helping out and working on the trail as well ? or leave them and come back ?

20-30 people sounds like a lot, most of us only have one empty seat...

I have an idea where that is at, and the roads I'm familiar with are pretty good, but should we pre run ? it or anything else in an effort to find out what the requirements will be (it may be easier to use trucks and support Jeeps to get that many people back there, depending on road conditions).

Someone will need to post trips for each day with vehicle requirements, meeting place and time, and expectations.

Will they be prepared ? I'm not going to be happy running back into town and getting them a gatorade or sun tan lotion because they forgot it, etc.
All good questions.

Sandee McCullen
02-07-2006, 12:25 PM
If you can help out please contact Larry at the bottom of the page. This is a worthy cause. And make sure they know you are from the AZVJC.
Jim F.

The Arizona Trail Association needs some help transporting workers from the Picketpost Trailhead near Superior to a work area several miles south. They are building a new section of the Arizona Trail south of Picketpost TH. On Feb. 18 and 25 and March 4 and 18 they are going to need some help moving the trail workers to the work area and back from the trailhead. There is a closed road that parallels the new trail route. The Forest Service has agreed to allow us to use this closed road for "administrative purposes". My guess is that we will have about 20-30 people to move each way on each date. These work events are Valley companies employee groups.

Feb. 25.....Wells Fargo

For more information and if you want to help contact Larry at: sneadlarry@qwest.net

Talked to Larry last night and he's still in desperate need for transport drivers.............. this is important as it shows "users working together". The enviros always love to show the "SPLIT".

From Larry:
We still need help. the only one I have heard from is Edward Charlton who has room for two on Feb. 25th and March 4th. I have not received the final count from Salt River Project for Feb. 18th but we are expecting around 30 people. I did clear with Connie Lane that after the drivers drop the trail workers off they can continue on the closed road and other spur roads to help us find other Arizona Trail route access points. Thanks for your help.

Devil Man
02-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Talked to Larry last night and he's still in desperate need for transport drivers.............. this is important as it shows "users working together". The enviros always love to show the "SPLIT".

From Larry:
We still need help. the only one I have heard from is Edward Charlton who has room for two on Feb. 25th and March 4th. I have not received the final count from Salt River Project for Feb. 18th but we are expecting around 30 people. I did clear with Connie Lane that after the drivers drop the trail workers off they can continue on the closed road and other spur roads to help us find other Arizona Trail route access points. Thanks for your help.
CAN A CHEVY 2500 HD 4X4 MAKE THE TRAIL :confused:

westy
02-07-2006, 12:57 PM
It would help if we knew the details on the situation as Rich asked? What is the trail like???? It is hard for people to commit if they dont know whats going on

xFallen
02-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Jim F.

Feb. 25.....Wells Fargo

Also, and maybe this was mentioned, but riding in my open air rig when it is chilly nad dusty may not be considered much of a favor by some. Do they know what they are getting into? I can still throw a back seat in the TJ and would be to volunteer for one or more days, but don't want to do anyone a disservice by making them ride in my junk.

Maybe these questions should go directly to Larry...

If these roads/trails are more of the open variety, a few 4x4 crew cabs or Suburbans would do the trick nicely. Maybe 2WD is adequate?

Barry

Hackle
02-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Barry you have his e-mail address send him a message and ask the questions. I am sure he will take all the help he can get. Just take a few minutes of your time and e-mail him.
Jim F.

Linda
02-08-2006, 08:06 AM
The Motorola Dust Devils 4WD Club helped out the SC several years back by hauling the trail crew and their equipment up Iron Mountain. Most of the trail crew were people from out of state. They were very grateful for the rides into and out of their work camp, especially after it started raining and snowing.