PDA

View Full Version : Cave Creek Ranger Needs Help

Sandee McCullen
01-31-2006, 07:35 AM
Kelly, at the Cave Creek Ranger District Office is looking for a group that is planning on running Red Creek in the near future. Evidently there is a pile of roofing materials dumped out there and he'd our help in hauling it out.

Please call Kelly at 480.595.3370 for more information.

THANKS

tyota
01-31-2006, 07:49 AM
I'll help......

mbuckner
01-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Sandee,

I left Kelly a voice mail to call me with more info.

Best regards,

Mike

desertdawg
01-31-2006, 10:46 AM
I'd be willing to help if I'm not working. Don't know where Red Creek is though.

Mike when you find out more info post it up on the Posted Runs and Trip Reports.

mbuckner
01-31-2006, 01:36 PM
The roofing material (and other items) are at the Red Creek/Verde River area.

Based on Kelly's decription of the FR (boulder crawling required), this will require a run to scout out the site.

It looks like the route to take is FR24 (end of Cave Creek Road) north to FR269, then east on FR269 to FR18, then north on FR18 to Red Creek/Verde River.

Recommendations for a better route are welcomed.

I would like for at least one other vehicle to go with me (and more are welcomed).

We will need to identify a rendezvous (open to suggestions); I live at 60th Street and Thomas.

Mike

Nnote
01-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Red creek is a beutifull place. It's a very long rough road there, so check your nuts and bolts as you go (don't ask). I'd love to make this trip. Like I said it's a long ride so a campout is suggested.
Sandy, there is a light plane landing strip right there. My be cost prohibitive, but a very easy way to check on the sight.
Nick

westy
02-01-2006, 09:58 AM
the route suggested is infact the best way to access Red Creek. I have been there numerous times, it has changed alot in the past year, following the fires and flooding. The trail actually got easier, many of the ledges were filled with sand and smaller rocks.

The first section of the trail leads down into the creek bed (red creek) and there is a mild hill, once you enter the wash there are a couple boulders and decents/accents into and out of washes, nothing difficult. After you weave between a couple big rocks you will come to the most difficult section IMO, its very narrow and rocky, but the rocks are small. The trail follows the wash the majority of the way all the way to the Verde. It can be extremely brushy and narrow, and sometimes its easy to miss the trail and stay in the wash, in this instance you may encounter some difficult obstacles.
I know of several people who have lost entire vehicles down in Red Creek after floods swallowed them, not the place to be when its raining.

31s and rear locker should have no problems at all. oh yeah and if you get out early you should have no problem being back out before dark.

Its a beautiful area -
http://members.cox.net/brian.westfall/DSCN1148.JPG

johndorf
02-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Sign me up for some clean up duties. Let me know when we are going...John

BB1
02-01-2006, 06:38 PM
I would like to help. When you are ready just pm me and let me know. If no plans I will be their for sure.

marsquatch
02-03-2006, 08:00 PM
What's the status of this clean up?

M

mbuckner
02-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Tomorrow will be for scouting out the site that has the trash to help determine the plan.

Then a clean up date will be posted.

Best regards,

Mike

mbuckner
03-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Hello,

Last Saturday, John Halverson and I scouted the area that needs to be cleaned up.

Kelly is out of the office this week, so I left him a voice mail to call me; but I will call this next Monday if he has not called.

We need to identify when the dumpster(s) will be available, at the Cave Creek Ranger Office, to dispose of the trash.

Targeting 8-April as the cleanup date.

So anyone that has that date open and can help, please let me know.

Best regards,

Mike

rockwerks
03-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Hello,

Last Saturday, John Halverson and I scouted the area that needs to be cleaned up.

Kelly is out of the office this week, so I left him a voice mail to call me; but I will call this next Monday if he has not called.

We need to identify when the dumpster(s) will be available, at the Cave Creek Ranger Office, to dispose of the trash.

Targeting 8-April as the cleanup date.

So anyone that has that date open and can help, please let me know.

Best regards,

Mike

Id love to help but that is thw weekend for the globe werock event and many will be there....set it up for the weekend after and I can be there with the jeep comanche p/u to haul the junk out