PDA

View Full Version : Letter work - RTP Funding Approved in Texas

ThePagan
01-27-2006, 07:19 AM
I know it's not AZ related, but since there has been talk about RTP Funds and what good are letters I thought I would pass this long contested issue along.

TMTC in Texas was granted money to open a new off-road park.. but has been fighting the NIMBY (Not im my back yard).. they finally thought they had all the hurdles clear when one land owner hired a lawyer to delay the state's process. Here are the results of that delay.

__________________________________________________ __

In the November 2005 meeting, the Commission delayed consideration of this request and instructed the staff to further consider concerns raised by landowners neighboring the site. Certified letters were mailed to these landowners inviting them to express their concerns and offering to meet with them. On December 14, 2005, staff met with representatives of all surrounding property owners with the exception of one. Those attending the meeting indicated that they were all firmly opposed to the TMTC proposal, and stated that there were no conditions under which the would support the project.

Since the November Commission meeting staff have received over 1,300 pieces of various types of correspondence supporting the project.

It is the position of the staff that this project will address the needs and directives identified by the Texas Legislature in Senate Bills 155 and 1311 and helps satisfy the 30 percent motorized trail funding condition of the National Recreational Trails Fund and the project should be approved.

III. Recommendation:The staff recommends the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission adopt the following motion:

"Funding for the Texas Motorized Trail Coalition proposal to acquire 3,323 acres in Crockett County for the purposes of developing a public off-highway vehicle recreation area in the amount of $1,359,500 is approved."

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/feedback/meetings/2006/0126/agenda/item_5/

Sedona Jeep School
01-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Awesome! Letter-writing DOES work.

How much does the whole 3300 acres cost? Is the $1.3M 30% of the total investment? $1.3M would buy about 10 acres around here...

I have been gathering details about these OHV/RTP projects, looking specifically at Kansas Rocks, Hungry Valley, maybe Tellico...and now Texas. Thank you for sharing this info--keep it up! :)

Sedona Jeep School
01-29-2006, 08:25 AM
This idea has surfaced on this forum before. I, too, see a need for an OHV park in this state. Even though we are blessed with thousands of miles of public trails, an OHV park would provide a focused and buffered area for newbies, sport Jeepers, as well as a venue for events. And, maybe most importantly, it would serve to funnel people through a Tread Lightly message, so that when they do venture out onto public land, they will respect it better.

Funding seems to vary from state to state, and I am just in the beginning stages of researching what other states have done, and how a grant may be written for AZ. Any input, information, or insight is helpful. It will take many of us to make this happen.

Here is a link regarding AZ funds: http://www.pr.state.az.us/partnerships/grants/rtp.html

Linda
01-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Arizona has OHV parks or areas. Most of these are managed by government agencies. http://www.pr.state.az.us/partnerships/ohv/ohv_sites.html
There are a couple of companies that are wanting to set up private OHV parks.

ThePagan
01-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Keep in mind that Texas had the first large OHV park purchased with RTP Funds... Barnwell Mountain.

And no it's really not a haven for the "land use challenged" as TMTC has very specific rules and works very tightly with the local 4 wheel drive clubs.

The first park was 1800 acres and definitly an area to enjoy nature. I've been there when there were 100 park visitors or more and can still enjoy trails where no one else is.

The new park cost quite a bit more then that... but the land owner is offering some it back as a donation, and TMTC has some private funds as well.. but the land cost in that area is a lot less then AZ or CO that is 100% for sure.

- Shawn

BobnJeep
01-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Go west on Williamson Valley Rd. in Prescott. I lived about 5 miles from one there. It was built by "Arizona Game and Fish" I'm pretty sure. I wheeled it on two different occations when a girl at the coffee shop in town would say; "When are you going to take me out in that cool Jeep?"