PDA

View Full Version : BLM Scoping Open House TONIGHT Wed.1/25!

Sedona Jeep School
01-25-2006, 07:05 AM
The Arizona Strip is a wonderful place to wander for days at a time. We need to keep access to this area.

Sandee reminded us of this via the yahoo groups email, but I didn't see it here yet, so here goes:

"REMINDER........

For those of you that live in the north part of the valley please try and
make it to this scoping meeting for a few minutes. It will be hosted as an
"Open House" so I'm assuming there won't be "public speaking" but if we can
have a show of RED SHIRTS it will certainly help our cause. I know most of
us don't OHV recreate in the Strip Area of BLM lands but we still need to
show our involvement to off set the enviros that are very pushy about
wanting this entire area as Wilderness or at the least......... closed ot
ALL OHV use.

I worked closely with the BLM on this plan and the Field Manager was truly
caught between a rock and a hard spot in making recreation decisions for
this area that sits between two National Monuments.

Yes, we could "ask for ALL OHV trails to remain open to OHV" but that isn't
going to happen in this area. I believe they did a fair and balanced
evaluation and plan for this area............... your support can certainly
help us with upcoming scoping meetings and decisions for areas that truly do
involve OHV.

Hope to see you all tomorrow night..................

Sandee"

_____

Arizona Strip District staff will be conducting a public open house meeting
at the Deer Valley Community Center at 2001 W. Wahalla Lane in Phoenix on
Wednesday 4:00 pm. - 7:00 pm.

Directions:
19th Avenue 1 blk south of 101
1/2 blk west of 19th on Walhalla.

jeepsonly
01-25-2006, 07:24 AM
Just a little note. Red shirts really help if you can do it. It doesn't have to be any kind of special shirt, just red. It helps everyone there know who is on what side and gives BLM a quick assessment of how many of us show up.

azrubyman
01-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Would like to attend.....but I'm in foggy Oregon today.:(
Ken

My1stJeep
01-25-2006, 07:51 AM
Darn, wore my Yellow Jeep shirt today. But I will come by for awhile and participate.

Are there any items we should go in asking about or addressing specific to this area? Can anyone give us a better idea exactly where this area sits?

RokNRich
01-25-2006, 08:21 AM
This story was in Sundays Republic:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/articles/0122sun1-22.html

Steering a plan for right roads

Jan. 22, 2006 12:00 AM

Roads. They're the big arguing point in drafting plans to manage Arizona's national monuments.

Roads let people see the soaring fossil-studded cliffs, grassy mesas and dramatic canyons in these special places.

Roads also chop up wildlife habitat, add to fire risks, spread weeds and expose sites to vandalism.

and

But for the two northern monuments, Parashant and Vermilion Cliffs, the proposal appears to skew too heavily toward roads. Or routes, as the BLM prefers to term them, although most are rough dirt tracks.

and

A coalition of wilderness advocates, on the other hand, wants to swing the pendulum too far the other direction, slashing the roads to 716 miles in Parashant and 136 miles in Vermilion Cliffs.

That is awesome country up there, hate to lose it.

jeepsonly
01-25-2006, 09:03 AM
In addition to showing up for this meeting, perhaps an AZVJC trip is in order to this area. You never know how much longer you'll be able to see it and it might help fire everyone up about why preserving access to this area needs support.

So quit putting it off and go carefully enjoy an area that's rightfully yours to explore. :)

Anyone want to spearhead a trip?

Sedona Jeep School
01-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Bill,

Given the weather up there, how about May? I have only followed a few roads through there, but have been drooling over my Delorme Atlas picking out routes that look interesting.

Let's hear from anyone who attended the Open House...?

paparonbo
01-25-2006, 06:56 PM
I was out there at 4:00pm. I had to stop and buy a RED shirt on the way since I had worn a green one to work :) . It was interesting to talk to the people from the BLM and hear their point of view. I spoke to someone from each of the areas represented and expressed my concern to keep as much land open for motorized recreation as possible. I also got a chance to talk to LKD_TJ and My1stJeep while I was up there. There were a few other red shirts there, but I didn't get a chance to talk to them.

Interestingly enough, I recognized a couple of greenies there from the Agua Fria scoping meetings.

Hackle
01-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Nena I went to the meeting and we had a pretty good turn out from what I heard. It was interesting that the Serria Club had a display next door to show how much OHV destroys the country. I hope in the future to be able to do the same thing with the AZOHVC except we can show the positive side of the OHV that we all know.
Back to the meeting This BLM group has done a nice job building OHV use into the plan and still protect the resources that need the protection.
Jim F.

LKD TJ
01-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Nena I went to the meeting and we had a pretty good turn out from what I heard. It was interesting that the Serria Club had a display next door to show how much OHV destroys the country. I hope in the future to be able to do the same thing with the AZOHVC except we can show the positive side of the OHV that we all know.
Back to the meeting This BLM group has done a nice job building OHV use into the plan and still protect the resources that need the protection.
Jim F.

I also attended as Paparonbo stated. It was a well put together meeting and I got the chance to listen to Sandee for a while :) (always a good thing). The actual closures that they are talking about where very well thought out. If you asked why a certain road was to be closed they had a reason. I was impressed with the detail they had. I also agree with Jim that they have included OHV and still are protecting the resources that need to be protected.

My1stJeep
01-26-2006, 08:12 AM
I was there toward the early part. I happen to come in from a different part of the complex so I ended up by the oppositions side first. They made it appear like it was the presentation, however it seemed so small. Not seeing Sandee I knew there was more. I talked with them for a few moments and realized what it was, sure seemed sly to have something set up so slighted and make it look so much like they were the BLM themselves presenting that view point.

After being in the correct room and talking with people from the BLM it was very clear they had gone through a very extensive process and really determined the best course of action. The majority of the talk was around the option that had the fewest road closures.

I asked why this even got started. It had to do with the designation of the area as a National Monument. This mandated the review and forced the BLM's hand to perform this task. With everything I saw they did a great job.

They had to take into account grazing right, recreational uses, land/realty, mineral/oil and environmental issues. As for the OHV use they reviewed all the trails and looked for places they could reduced redundant trails, roads that went through archeological sites, some areas being set aside for critical environmental concerns. That said that in some cases acreage increased for some environmental concerns, and in some cases it decreased as the concern was no longer an issue in that area. This was not just lets take away some roads, they used actual research to get this done.

Direct affect on OHV use:
Parashant - 1397 miles of routes remain open, 185 miles of routes for admin use only and 191 miles would be closed
Vermilion - 384 miles of routes remain open, 66 miles for admin use only, 102 miles closed
Arizona Strip Field Office - nearly 1000 miles of routes inventoried, up to 100 miles could be closed

Throughout the Arizona Strip vehicles must stay on designated routes. The preferred alternative designates 7,000 acres within the Arizona Strip Field Office as OHV "Open" areas, in which vehicles may travel off-route. No alternative recommends open areas in either National Monument (Parashant and Vermilion).

The next step is up to us. We need to send in our comments by March 17th (all letters must be postmarked by this date) so that our opinions will count. While I did see several red shirts while I was there, I also say quite a few of our opposition. While everyone was talking about which was the preferred option, which in my opinion is a huge benefit to us, you can be sure that is not the option the greenies are going to push for.

Alternative A - Is for no action. Leave everything as it is.
Alternative B - Places an emphasis on minimal human use, and proposes the FEWEST MILES OF OPEN roads/trails.
Alternative C - An attempt to balance resource protection and human use and influence.
Alternative D - Places an emphasis on maximum appropriate human use and influence, includes the most open miles of open roads and trails of Alternatives B/E
Alternative E - Includes elements of each alternative above. This one supports the numbers listed above for the amount of miles left open. It keeps more remote areas with less human use and more for critical areas environmental concern.

There are a few things we have there both in plant life and yes the Desert Tortoise that have to be taken into account. For those things some acreage increased to help support those resourses, while other areas there was no evidence to support that that plant/wild life existed so those areas were reduced and given back to us.

In everything I read so far and discussed last night Alternative E seems to make the most sense. JMO

For anyone that would like an exact copy of the Public Comment Registration form I will be happy to make copies for you to fill out and mail in. You can also send comments in via email to Arizona_Strip@blm.gov or if you choose you can also fill in the form and fax it in.

If you would like a copy of the form please email me at My1stJeep@excite.com and I will make arrangements to get you the form. Please take the time to choose one of the options and send in comments, we need to be heard or instead of minimal trail loss we will loss it all.

Thanks to everyone that showed up, it was good to see the red shirts and meet face to face with some members I had never met before (LKD TJ/Travis and paparonbo/Ron).

Hackle
01-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Any letters must have what they refer to as Standing. Do not send a letter stating that you like Alternative E only. State reasons why that is a good alternative. And how it effects you. The strip is a great deer hunting area maybe you have or plan to hunt there some day and will need access. The are a lot of beautiful areas you may need acces to enjoy. The why it is good I pretty much addressed in my first post. It does not need to be long or drawn out it just needs a little thought behind it. This works good for us as the Greenie's have to follow the same rules so they can not send out a rubber stamp reply.
Jim F.

jeepsonly
01-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Is the AZOHVC going to setup a page with some sample letters for this letter-writing campaign Jim?

Thanks to all who attended. I know it's a pain to go but soooo important.

Nena, not sure, I've never been to that particular area. Would love to go though! A long trip from where I'm sitting at the moment, though.

k7mto
01-26-2006, 10:30 AM
What do you mean, Bill. Your profile says your still in Chandler :)

FrenchChili
01-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Damn...just saw this thread...wished I attended...anything similar coming up???

jeepsonly
01-26-2006, 11:35 AM
What do you mean, Bill. Your profile says your still in Chandler :)

Actually Matt if you look carefully it says "Was Chandler". :)

troublemaker :D

1BLKJP
01-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Damn...just saw this thread...wished I attended...anything similar coming up???

Yes there will be another meeting on 2/25/06 that is being setup to discuss the Florence Junction and surrounding areas. This meeting is a must attend for Phoenix 4wheeling. There are some other threads running already that are discussing that meeting.

Hackle
01-26-2006, 04:07 PM
These are both quotes from my previous posts and to be honest Bill I think I have pretty much written your letter for you, just add some creativity (or lies) and it should be pretty easy to build a letter out this information.
Jim F.

Any letters must have what they refer to as Standing. Do not send a letter stating that you like Alternative E only. State reasons why that is a good alternative. And how it effects you. The strip is a great deer hunting area maybe you have or plan to hunt there some day and will need access. The are a lot of beautiful areas you may need access to enjoy. The why it is good I pretty much addressed in my first post.

This BLM group has done a nice job building OHV use into the plan and still protect the resources that need the protection.

jeepsonly
01-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks Jim and I appreciate it. I was just referring to a letter generator or something on the AZOHVC website for those OHV'ers outside the AZVJC.

Hackle
01-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Letter generator software is very expensive and the AZOHVC can not afford it any better then the ASA4WDC can at this point. For know we are using elbow grease.
Jim F.

TRobertsRN
01-26-2006, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=SedonaCowgirl]Bill,

Given the weather up there, how about May? I have only followed a few roads through there, but have been drooling over my Delorme Atlas picking out routes that look interesting. QUOTE]

Nena, what is a Delorme Atlas?

thanks,

Sedona Jeep School
01-27-2006, 06:13 AM
DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer, available for many states. I carry the AZ one always, combined with whatever local USFS or BLM map is applicable to the area I am in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0899333257/qid=1138370572/sr=8-6/ref=pd_bbs_6/103-2545375-7031856?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

I happen to come in from a different part of the complex so I ended up by the oppositions side first. They made it appear like it was the presentation, however it seemed so small. Not seeing Sandee I knew there was more. I talked with them for a few moments and realized what it was, sure seemed sly to have something set up so slighted and make it look so much like they were the BLM themselves presenting that view point.
This is an example of the ones we should kill and eat...:D No matter what side of an issue you are on, how does an obvious attempt at deception help your cause?

Chris, Thanks for your detailed info. I will be happy to work up a letter "template" once I have a chance to read through the information thoroughly. Some other things that are great about this area: elk & buffalo hunting, wildlife viewing, camping, hiking (anyone been to Toroweep Point?). There is some fantastic history in this area, too.

Happy trails!

TRobertsRN
01-27-2006, 08:26 PM
DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer, available for many states. I carry the AZ one always, combined with whatever local USFS or BLM map is applicable to the area I am in. !

LOL at myself. I thought the DeLorme Atlas was a transfer case I wasn't aware of. Can't tell my mind is on mods.:D

RokNRich
01-28-2006, 03:29 AM
This is awesome country and isn't really being "abused" (that I saw anyways), and we need to make sure our voices are heard on this one. The roads they are trying to close are roads that might be too "tough" for the average SUV. Those are the roads we like aren't they.

I'm working on my letter now, needed to blow off a little steam first.

Sedona Jeep School
01-28-2006, 06:08 AM
LOL at myself. I thought the DeLorme Atlas was a transfer case I wasn't aware of. Can't tell my mind is on mods.:D
A man shopping is truly a dangerous thing...:D