PDA

View Full Version : Artillery exercize in Florence Junction area

FearTheDentist
01-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I was out in the FJ area this weekend (lower and upper Ajax :) ) and the board at the staging area said there would be artillery exercizes Jan 21 and 22, and March (I think) 18th and 19th. This was at the staging area many of us use to access Coke Ovens, Martinez Canyon, etc. I assume this means the whole area is off-limits during the exercizes? A group of us was planning a trip out there the 21st-22nd, and I don't want to cancel it if I don't have to, but I'm afraid live artillery fire would add just a little too much excitement to my off-roading experience :eek:
So- do they close the entire area for such exercizes, and if not, which parts are off limits?
Thanks!

k7mto
01-09-2006, 05:00 PM
I was out in the FJ area this weekend (lower and upper Ajax :) ) and the board at the staging area said there would be artillery exercizes Jan 21 and 22, and March (I think) 18th and 19th. This was at the staging area many of us use to access Coke Ovens, Martinez Canyon, etc. I assume this means the whole area is off-limits during the exercizes? A group of us was planning a trip out there the 21st-22nd, and I don't want to cancel it if I don't have to, but I'm afraid live artillery fire would add just a little too much excitement to my off-roading experience :eek:
So- do they close the entire area for such exercizes, and if not, which parts are off limits?
Thanks!

No, you can still go wheelin, just stay on the main roads (Cottonwood Canyon or Price) until you reach the trail areas. They only shoot in the flat areas between the two, so if you stay on the roads you'll be fine (unless they aim wrong). They will put triangluar red flags on the flagpoles when they are there.

FearTheDentist
01-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Ah- thanks for the info!