PDA

View Full Version : Adopting Trails

T.C.'S TOY
01-08-2006, 03:23 PM
For Such A Large Club As This How Come We Are Not Adopting Trails? if We Don't They Will Soon Be Closed.....Thom (T.C.'s Toy):(

FrenchChili
01-08-2006, 06:03 PM
good point...how do we start?....i'm ignorant

Sedona Jeep School
01-09-2006, 07:43 AM
One of the issues is that we are not an "organized" club. Land managers value our input and volunteering, but for the ongoing responsibility of adopting a trail, they need to have a recognized accountability--that means officers, member roster, etc.

There are organized clubs, some of whose members frequent this forum, who do or may adopt trails. Maybe some of them will chime in here? Mesa 4-Wheelers has adopted some trails--maybe they would be a good place to make an inquiry.

Another issue is the Land Management itself. The USFS is beginning its road and trail cataloguing process, which will take years ( http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/ ). Many seem very reluctant to begin any special permitting at this time. The BLM may be a different story though...

T.C.'S TOY
01-09-2006, 01:30 PM
One of the issues is that we are not an "organized" club. Land managers value our input and volunteering, but for the ongoing responsibility of adopting a trail, they need to have a recognized accountability--that means officers, member roster, etc.

There are organized clubs, some of whose members frequent this forum, who do or may adopt trails. Maybe some of them will chime in here? Mesa 4-Wheelers has adopted some trails--maybe they would be a good place to make an inquiry.

Another issue is the Land Management itself. The USFS is beginning its road and trail cataloguing process, which will take years ( http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/ ). Many seem very reluctant to begin any special permitting at this time. The BLM may be a different story though...

FUNNY THEY DON'T SEEM TO MIND US TRIMMING OR CLEANING UP THE ADOPTED TRAILS.......BUT I CERTAINLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING NENA......THOM:confused:

RokNRich
01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
An old thread about the requirements for doing this.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=6402

I'd be willing to help as well.

Actually, without hijacking this too much, I noticed that US60 just past FJ has a open adopt a highway segment available. Pretty sure that area would include the parking area for that entrance into the FJ area. Should we consider that ?

RokNRich
01-10-2006, 09:17 PM
btt

Hackle
01-11-2006, 04:14 PM
OK I will chime in with my two cents at this point. The BLM is just developing an Adopt a Trail program but, I have entered into an ageement with them as an individual to keep a trail open that the RockRats as a club do all the work. I can enter them as volunteer hours as they are assiting me. I have set up an adopt a trail with the Forest Service for a club years ago and I do not see why it could not work out the same. Get a list of individuals and list the AZVJC and go to the Forest Service with that information. It is not that hard of a process. Pick your trail and go to or contact someone in that office to set it up.
If you sit on your hands waiting for someone to set it up so you can join in you are wasting time:)
Jim F.

FrenchChili
01-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Hopefully FR42 is available when it re-opens.

Linda
01-12-2006, 01:47 PM
The Mud Springs Trail was adopted by the Arizona Lo Rangers 4WDC five or so years ago. The club goes out once or twice a year to clean it up and keep an eye out for severe erosion conditions. I think there are a couple of places along that trail that will need some work this spring. This trail was slated for closure because the USFS vehicles couldn't make it past the steep hill in their stock 4x4s.

FrenchChili
01-12-2006, 01:53 PM
...I can understand trail cleanup for trash...cutting in-the-way branches....but when it comes to erosion what happens? What does the group do? Do they let the trail change? Can "fixin'" the trail do more damage to the surroundng environment?....................

Linda
01-12-2006, 04:57 PM
We have gone in with chain link fencing or livestock fencing and T-posts to create "dams" using rock backfills in areas where the trail has deteriorated to the point where it would be unsafe (ie chances of rollover or sliding off the trail into deep ravines). You go back the next year and it is very difficult to tell where the repairs were made, unless you know where they were made. In fact, repairs like that have been made on the Martinez Canyon loop trail, one of the entrances into the Miner's Revenge Trail, and the Battle Axe route into the Coke Ovens.

Making repairs keeps the trails open. There's no sense in having a trail closed because of a few feet of washout. One of the things you don't want to do is create alternate routes unless there is absolutely no way to repair the original trail.

One trail that I know that was almost closed due to a washout was Cherry Creek Road (FR203). 10-12 ft section of the road was washed away along with the culvert pipe that had been put there several years back. While Cherry Creek Road is not exactly a 4x4 trail, the USFS came really close to closing it and making it into a hiking trail because of the washout. There was a big uproar over this. The washout has since been repaired and the road is open to motorized travel. Cherry Creek Road is a very scenic road that parallels the Young Highway.

Tooley
07-10-2009, 01:42 PM
OK I will chime in with my two cents at this point. The BLM is just developing an Adopt a Trail program but, I have entered into an ageement with them as an individual to keep a trail open that the RockRats as a club do all the work. I can enter them as volunteer hours as they are assiting me. I have set up an adopt a trail with the Forest Service for a club years ago and I do not see why it could not work out the same. Get a list of individuals and list the AZVJC and go to the Forest Service with that information. It is not that hard of a process. Pick your trail and go to or contact someone in that office to set it up.
If you sit on your hands waiting for someone to set it up so you can join in you are wasting time:)
Jim F.

First off I know it's an old topic.....
Is this information still applicable?