PDA

View Full Version : Rolling 15 right around the corner --- Maybe

Linda
12-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Here's the good news!:

Arizona Emissions Test Exemption for Collectible Vehicles Signed Into Law by Governor
Congratulations!!! A bill (H.B. 2357) to exempt qualified collectible vehicles 15 years old and older from the state’s mandatory emissions inspection and maintenance program has been signed into law by Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano (4/13/2005). Under the new law, qualifying vehicles would have to maintain appropriate collectible or classic automobile insurance to retain these benefits.

The new law:

· Defines collectible vehicles as 15 years old or older, OR of unique or rare design, of limited production and an object of curiosity and maintained primarily for car club activities, exhibitions, parades, etc. and is used infrequently for other purposes.

· Provides for a rolling 15-year emissions inspection exemption that would exempt qualifying vehicles upon enactment and would pick up an additional model year for each year the law is in effect.

· Provides for an emissions inspection exemption for collectible vehicles for which the owner holds appropriate insurance coverage.

· Acknowledges the relatively minimal environmental impact of older vehicles, such as the older vehicles targeted for this exemption.

· Recognizes that such vehicles constitute a small portion of the vehicle fleet and are well-maintained and infrequently operated.

Congratulations again to all of the Arizona hobbyists whose hard work and perseverance made this new law a reality.

And here's the bad news. If it happens, it will be in 2009:
Sec. 2. Conditional enactment; notice

A. Section 49-542, Arizona Revised Statutes, as amended by this act, does not become effective unless on or before July 1, 2009 the United States environmental protection agency issues a vehicle emissions testing exemption for motorcycles and collectible vehicles in area B and for collectible vehicles in area A for purposes of the state implementation or maintenance plan for air quality.

B. The director of the department of environmental quality shall promptly notify in writing the director of the Arizona legislative council of the date on which the condition prescribed in subsection A of this section is met or if the condition is not met.

ref: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/47leg/1r/laws/0076.htm

ROCKFAN
12-06-2005, 06:42 AM
That is good news - thanks for the post.

Interesting that you could read the qualifications of a "collectible" to include a purpose-built tube buggy of any age -

unique or rare design, of limited production and an object of curiosity and maintained primarily for car club activities

kjstinga
12-06-2005, 12:11 PM
I have been following this bill for a while now and it is more hype than anything useful, especially to us. Not only is it subjective at this point whether it will actually go into effect; but try looking into "collector" or "classic" vehicle insurance and find out what the obligations are to qualify. Most of us will not fit into the designations and restrictions to be able to carry that insurance.

Linda
12-06-2005, 07:06 PM
I have been following this bill for a while now and it is more hype than anything useful, especially to us. Not only is it subjective at this point whether it will actually go into effect; but try looking into "collector" or "classic" vehicle insurance and find out what the obligations are to qualify. Most of us will not fit into the designations and restrictions to be able to carry that insurance.

There is this gap from 1966 to 1994 where there will be a benefit from this exemption. There were many vehicles, including 4-wheel drives, made during this period that are gaining collector status. The ones I can think of off had are, Chevy/GMC (trucks, Suburbans, Blazers), Ford (trucks, Broncos) and Dodge (trucks, Ramchargers/Prospectors) , FS Jeep vehicles, IH SUVs.

kjstinga
12-06-2005, 09:24 PM
I wasn't even talking about whether the vehicle was a "recognized" collector vehicle as most of these insurance companies will insure anything that is 20 years old under a collector/classic policy. Getting a policy is not the issue.

Start asking questions about the policy requirements - milege limitations, must be garaged, must be registered with a historic plate (some), must be driven on sunny days in temperatures between 70-80 for no more than 25 miles and only on the 3rd Sunday of the month... yes they can get that ridiculous.

No off road use or daily driver vehicle will ever be qualified under that insurance blanket to get an exemption and the legislators who passed it know it.

k7mto
12-06-2005, 09:24 PM
According to how it's written in the post above...

"Defines collectible vehicles as 15 years old or older, OR of unique or rare design,..."

So ANY vehicle 15 years or older (regardless if rare or unique) would qualify. Works for me and my CJ...

kjstinga
12-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Under the new law, qualifying vehicles would have to maintain appropriate collectible or classic automobile insurance to retain these benefits.

Re-read it... I would love it if someone could tell me a company willing to cover my vehicle for it's current uses under a collectable policy.

My 75 Scout does not qualify currently since I have a standard auto insurance policy; neither will your CJ. No body I have talked to was willing to write a collector/classic policy for an off road vehicle.

AZXJ
12-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Welp guess I'll be converting the MJ to propane... theres more than one way to skin a cat.. eventhough it still tastes like chicken... :D

treeofliberty
12-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Wonderful news... :mad: They had to wait until AFTER I sold my '69 vette. It was such a pain to get that 427 detuned enough to pass, and then retuned to bring her back to life.

On a brighter note, it paid off the Unlimited. :D Good news for all you classic Jeepers, keeping history alive.