PDA

View Full Version : Box Canyon Graffiti

robbieaz62
10-24-2005, 12:02 PM
My wife and I ran through Box Canyon a few weeks ago and noticed that some jackass(es) recently spray-painted graffiti on the walls in the slot area. This is exactly the kind of stupidity that we do not need if we don't want to see all of our trails closed. I sincerely hope it wasn't Jeep people who did this (and I'm guessing it probably wasn't).

Does anyone know how to clean graffiti off of that type of rock face without damaging it? I would be willing to go in and give it a shot but I have no clue how to go about it.

jeepsonly
10-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Geez that's disgusting. Hackle or Sandee probably have some ideas on how to clean it.

ScoobyDoo
10-24-2005, 03:35 PM
sand blast ?

fatbob309
10-24-2005, 03:58 PM
We had some crap when I worked in the shop that would take the paint off like nothing. I'll see if I can find out what it was.

k7mto
10-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Google search seems to indicate acetone works on some types of rocks but may be too harsh for that sandstone. Here's an interesting post from a climbers forum regarding removing graffiti from rock...

"besides washing and scrubbing which depending on rock type may not work. i have heard that if you use plain yogurt (with active culture) on the spray paint, it will allow the natural lichen to grow over it and cover it."

boxerwalt
10-24-2005, 04:25 PM
I have used carburator cleaner ($0.88 a can @ WalMart) and a wrag to clean paint off of flag stone in my back yard before. Did a great job, couldnt tell it was ever there. Not sure how good/bad it is for the rock in box canyon though, although I think a stain would be better than graffiti.

I ride box canyon a lot, I know the new stuff you are talking about.

Sedona Jeep School
10-24-2005, 04:44 PM
I ride box canyon a lot, I know the new stuff you are talking about.
Doesn't that just make you want to "cull the herd"?! I can't believe the idiocy of some people--I mean, what does writing graffiti do for them besides show everyone else on the planet what ******s they are? :mad:

RokNRich
10-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Picked up some paint cans out there a while ago. It was the line marking paint used by contractors, any chance this stuff is less than permanent ?

xFallen
10-24-2005, 07:38 PM
My wife and I ran through Box Canyon a few weeks ago and noticed that some jackass(es) recently spray-painted graffiti on the walls in the slot area. This is exactly the kind of stupidity that we do not need if we don't want to see all of our trails closed. I sincerely hope it wasn't Jeep people who did this (and I'm guessing it probably wasn't).

Does anyone know how to clean graffiti off of that type of rock face without damaging it? I would be willing to go in and give it a shot but I have no clue how to go about it.

Who (which group) is the sponsor of this trail? If there is one I would suggest the cleanup request best go through them. The registered off-road groups all have a designated trail over which they are considered stewards. The ASA4WDC (http://www.asa4wdc.org/)may have more details about who should be contacted to help. I checked their site but do not trust the information because the site is very poorly laid out in my opinion and doesn't give one confidence that it is currently up to date. I am sure they would be happy to email a response back though if questioned.

I personally applaud the desire and effort to clean up any harmful graffiti (presumably the markings are not survey in nature). However, self-preservation also suggests that the best of intentions for a clanup may go awry unless coordinated through the trustees of the land whomever they may be.

Barry

robbieaz62
10-31-2005, 10:54 AM
However, self-preservation also suggests that the best of intentions for a cleanup may go awry unless coordinated through the trustees of the land whomever they may be.

I know a lot of that area out there is state trust land but I don't know where the bounderies are or if box canyon falls within it. Anyway, I was reluctant to bring this matter up with any state agencies for fear of getting the environmentalists all riled up.

k7mto
10-31-2005, 11:25 AM
I think Barry was referring more to which local club/group has adopted this trail as opposed to which government agency is the land steward. Many of the trails have been adopted by various clubs and hold periodic cleanups, trail repair, rock de-stacking, etc., so they'd be the likely folks to inform about the graffiti.

As far as the greenies, they read these boards anyway so assume anything you post here has already been read by them. They know as well as we do that these vandals aren't necessarily (or even likely) related to the responsible offroad majority, but they'll still put their propaganda spin on it and use it against us as if it's us who did the damage.

The best thing to do would be to organize a cleanup party and handle it ourselves.

rockwerks
10-31-2005, 01:42 PM
many of us have air compressors and co2 setups able to drive air tools...that is plenty to run a sand blaster also...Ive used em around LHC to get paint off rocks